Medstar rehabilitation services offers a comprehensive pre-driving evaluation for people with an illness, injury, or overall decline in function that may affect their ability to drive safety. Please be aware that a physician’s referral is required for the Pri-driving evaluation.
This Pre-driving evaluation is conducted by a licensed occupational therapist and includes a standardized assessment – Including but not limited to the following:
- Visual acuity and scanning
- Visual perceptual skills
- Balance and range of motion
- Cognitive pressing skills
- Knowledge of roads law and road craft skills
Following the evaluation – which often requires a 2-3 house session to complete – a report will be sent to the referring physician. The physician will discuss the results with the patient and make recommendations as appropriate.
Warning signs a person may need a Pre-driving Evaluation:
- Drives to quickly or too slowly
- Needs help or instructions from passengers
- Ignores signs and signals
- Makes slow or poor decisions
- Easily frustrated or confused
- Has a pattern of getting lost, even in familiar areas
- Accidents or near misses
- Drifts across lane markings into other lanes
- Has poor roads position or makes wide turns
- Misses important things like signals, signage, or pedestrians
- Failure to yield
- Difficulty interpreting traffic situations
Please note that this evaluation does not include an “On Roads” assessment.
If you believe that you or someone you know may being need of the pre-driving evaluation, please call 734-844-0800.